Protection of Personal Information Act (“POPIA”): Hot off the press – news from the Information Regulator
Written by Karus Prinsloo
- Press briefing by the Information Regulator: 20 September 2017
The Information Regulator (IR) held a press briefing on 20 September 2017 and issued a press release (click here to access). It is interesting to note that it is envisaged by the IR that the draft regulations would be submitted to Parliament for tabling in February 2018, with an anticipated publication date of the final regulations in April 2018.
The IR also indicated that it endeavours to be fully operationalised in 2018 and that the remaining sections of the Act will commence once the Regulator is fully operational.
- Draft regulations for comment
The IR has published draft regulations earlier this month, for public comment by 7 November 2017. Amongst others, the draft regulations covers the following aspects:
- Manner of lodging an objection to processing of personal information;
- Request for correction or deletion of personal information or destroying or deletion of record of personal information;
- Duties and responsibilities of Information Officers;
- Application to issue a Code of Conduct;
- Request for data subject’s consent for processing of personal information for the purpose of direct marketing by means of unsolicited electronic communications
- Submission of complaint or grievance;
- Regulator acting as conciliator during an investigation.
- Are you ready to comply with POPIA’s requirements?
Inlexso have been assisting clients in industries such as retail, manufacturing, tertiary education, aviation, mining and financial services with POPIA services (including conducting readiness overviews and preparing POPIA Roadmaps, awareness training, legal opinions and consulting services).
Contact Inlexso to assist you with ensuring compliance with POPIA or attend one of our public training courses on 19 October or 16 November 2017.
Please refer to Inlexso Legal Compliance for more information about our value-adding compliance service offerings and contact Karus Prinsloo on 087 405 1827 or email@example.com for more information in this regard.