If we were to say the word “environment” to an ordinary citizen, in the present day, this brings to the fore thoughts of green, catch phrases like ‘global warming’, ‘energy efficiency’ and ‘sustainable development’. In line with ordinary citizens focus, the last century has seen a significant shift in industry awareness towards environmental sustainability, which has justified the need for a growth of specialist in this arena of law.
GUIDING YOU THROUGH THE MAZE OF ENVIRONMENTAL LEGISLATION
Due to the global climate in which industry functions, the acute awareness of average citizens of the “Environmental Rights” and let’s not forget businesses moral obligations to future generations, compliance with Environmental law has become an absolute necessity. In South Africa, and globally, non compliance with Environmental Law can have very severe consequences which can reach far beyond the corporate veil of a business.
Currently, in industry, the word ‘environment’ can bring forward nightmarish images of long protracted enviro-legal processes, intense environmental obligations and significant increase in project expenditure.
How We Can Help You
In collaboration with our existing clients we have identified predominant enviro-legal hurdles experienced by industrial business and have put together a team of Environmental Legal experts, geared to address these and other obstacles in the environmental legal industry .
Natural Resources Legal Services:
- Advice on all Environmental Legal Aspects
- Environmental Auditing and SHE Compliance
- Due Diligence Assessments
- Litigation and Assistance with Administrative Processes
- Environmental Impact Assessment & Appeals
- Public Participation- public relations officer (PR officer and meeting co-ordinator)
- Tender Evaluation
- SHE Training and Capacity building
- Post Authorisation Management
- Project Finance and IFC and Equator principles
- Legal Due Diligence (Environmental Liability)
- Environmental and Mineral Resource Project Lifecycle Compliance
- Legal Memorandums – various technical aspects of Natural Resource Law
- Environmental License Applications and Enforcement Processes
- Mining Rights Applications and Enforcement Processes
- Specific Environmental Management Act (SEMA) Compliance
- ISO 14001 Environmental Legal Evaluation Audits- Manufacturing, Mining and Production Sectors
- Environmental Gap Analysis Audits – Manufacturing, Mining and Production Sectors
- Specific Environmental Aspects Audits- Air, Water, Waste , Biodiversity
- Litigation involving Environmental Right representing Applicant or Respondents
- Significant experience in Environmental Administrative Appeals
Latest Updates and Articles
South African National Parks v MTO Forestry (Pty) Ltd and Another: Court confirms legitimate expectation to consultation
Written by Morne Viljoen (Environmental Department) . At the heart of this appeal was the question whether the appellant, the South African National Parks (SANParks), had a duty to consult the second respondent, Parkscape, prior to allowing the first respondent, MTO...
PIETERMARITZBURG PISTOL CLUB v MEC, DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL AFFAIRS, KWA-ZULU NATAL: COURT CONFIRMS EA ALONE NOT SUFFICIENT TO PROCEED WITH PROPOSED PROJECT This case concerned an application for the reviewing and setting aside of the decision made by the Member...
This case concerned an application for an interim interdict brought by Upper Highway Air NPC (Upper Highway Air) restraining Enviroserve Waste Management (Pty) Ltd (Enviroserve) from conducting waste management activities on a landfill site in Shongweni, save measures...